Sunday School Lesson 12Overcoming Temptation
MEMORY VERSE: “For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.” – Hebrews 2:18
BIBLE PASSAGE: Hebrews 4:14-16
INTRODUCTION: Just as we cannot stop birds from flying over our heads but can stop them from nesting in our hair, so also can we not stop temptation from coming. However, we need not accept them or allow them to take a stronghold. The consequence of yielding to temptation can be disastrous whereas resisting it births victory.
- The Results Of Temptation
- How Can One Overcome?
- THE RESULTS OF TEMPTATION
There are two possible outcomes of temptation. We either yield to it or we resist it and overcome. If a Christian yields to temptation, it becomes sin (1Timothy 6:9). The result then is that the Christian’s testimony is badly affected and he becomes spiritually weak (Matthew 26:41). If the
temptation is resisted, the Lord is glorified and the Christian grows spiritually stronger (in faith and maturity) and will be able to resist other temptations in the future (James 1:2-4). God is happy because the determination of the Christian to obey Him is confirmed (Genesis 22:15-18).
- HOW CAN ONE OVERCOME?
There are several ways of overcoming temptations. We shall mention some of them:
- We can rely on God’s faithfulness (1 Corinthians 1:9, 1 Corinthians 10:13) and on
Jesus Christ who is constantly praying for us (Luke 22:31-32).
- By memorising, meditating and recalling the word of God like Jesus did in Matthew
- By constant prayer and carefulness (Matthew 26:41).
- By fleeing (2 Timothy 2:22). When Joseph found himself cornered by Potiphar’s
wife, he fled.
- By resisting (James 4:7). Stay strong in the lord and do not yield to sin Ephesians
CONCLUSION: Avoid falling into temptation whenever it comes. To fall is easy but the scars often remain. Remember, we can do all things through Christ, including resisting temptations.
- List four possible ways of escape from temptation?
- What are the results of temptations?
MONDAY: 1 John 2:16
TUESDAY: Numbers 22:17
WEDNESDAY: Job 2:9
THURSDAY: Matthew 4:6
FRIDAY: Matthew 4:9
SATURDAY: Rev. 3:10
SUNDAY: 2 Peter 2:9