MEMORY VERSE:“Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts.” 2 Peter 3:3
BIBLE READING: Jude 1:11-18
The word ‘scoffer’ in Greek, is ’empaiktés’ and it simply translates in English to mean a mocker. A scoffer is one who does any of the following in relation to the word and work of God. They make a mockery of sin by deliberately misinterpreting or mis-representing God’s word for their own selfish goals. They oppose the Christian faith and are scornful to the things of God’s Kingdom. Believers are encouraged to be watchful and be on guard against such people.
- IDENTIFYING SCOFFERS
- BIBLICAL RESPONSE OF BELIEVERS
There are some peculiar traits that scoffers to the Gospel of Jesus Christ have in common. They deny the truths of Scripture and entice others to go along with their error Jude 4. They refuse to accept the word of the God as written in the Holy Bible as the final authority on all matters and despise God’s ministers 2 Chron. 36:16. They question the second coming of the Lord Jesus, pointing out the lapse of time and mock those who still wait and yearn for Jesus appearing 2 Pet. 3:4. They follow their own ungodly desires and create divisions in the church 2 Pet. 3:3; Jude 1:17-19. They have a form of godliness but deny its power 2 Tim. 3:5. They present highly philosophical arguments to justify their non-biblical stance on issues such as gender and sexuality to lead people astray 2 Pet. 2:1. They ensnare people into abominable acts that gratify the flesh Prov. 20:8, Gal 5:19-21. They are people who deceive others into scriptural errors by deliberate falsehood Isa. 28:14-15.
BIBLICAL RESPONSE OF BELIEVERS
The proliferation of scoffers is a sign of the last days. 2 Pet. 3:3. With this in mind, all believers in Christ must do the follow things:
1. Take seriously the commands to study and meditate on God’s word Ps. 1:1-2; Josh. 1:8.
- Remain in Christ spotless and blameless 2 Pet. 3:14; Eph. 5:27.
- Continue to eagerly look for the appearance of the Lord Tit. 2:13.
- Weigh every teaching against the word of God Acts 17:11.
- Know that God is not slack concerning His promises 2 Pet. 3:9.
- Be established in their holy faith Jude 20 and remain steadfast to the end 1 Cor. 16:13; 1 Tim. 6:12.
- Test all spirits using the gift of spiritual discernment and grow in grace 1 Jn. 4:1-2, Pet. 3:18.
Beware of scoffers and refuse to be one Ps. 1:1.