MEMORY VERSE: “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall the cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;” Mark 16:17
BIBLE PASSAGE: Acts 19:1-6
Our Lord Jesus Christ declared that the ability to speak with new tongues shall be one of the signs that follow everyone who believes in Him Mk. 16:17. While every believer receives the Holy Spirit at the point of conversion Act. 2:38, believers are expected to continue to thirst and hunger for the infilling of the Holy Spir Lk. 24:29. Speaking in tongues is a divine language manifested when one is baptised with the Holy Spirit. The ability to speak in an unknown tongue is one of the outward (physical) pieces of evidence of the overflow of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer Acts 2:4. In this lesson, we shall attempt to answer some of the mind-boggling questions about speaking in an unknown tongue and its benefits.
- SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE AND THE GIFT OF DIVERSE KINDS OF TONGUE COMPARED
- BENEFITS OF SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE
SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE AND THE GIFT OF DIVERSE KINDS OF TONGUE COMPARED
The ability to speak in an unknown tongue, as well as the gift of diverse kinds of tongues, is given by the Holy Spirit. The distinct commencement of the dispensation of the Holy Spirit, began with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. These spiritual endowments can not to be bought with money or learnt. However, we need to distinguish between the two. While every believer is expected to speak in an unknown tongue Act. 19:1-6 not all may receive the gift of diverse kinds of tongues 1 Cor. 12:10. Note that both can take place simultaneously for some believers, as it happened to the disciples on the day of Pentecost Act. 2:4-12. When a believer speaks in an unknown tongue, he speaks mysteries (unto God) which cannot be understood by men 1 Cor. 14:2, however, God can speak through one with the gift of diverse kinds of tongues to men with interpretations where necessary Act. 2:4-6. Speaking in an unknown tongue is for self-edification 1 Cor. 14:4 while diverse kinds of tongues (when interpreted) edify the church or those around Act. 2:7-10.
BENEFITS OF SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE
The following are some of the benefits of speaking in an unknown tongue:
- It improves a believer’s prayer life: supernatural ability to communicate with God effectively and intercede for others well Rom. 8:26; 1 Cor. 14:2.
- Self-edification: it stirs up the believer’s faith 1 Cor. 14:4; Jude 20.
- It brings our tongue under God’s control. No man can tame the tongue but God. By the Holy Spirit, the whole body can change including the tongue, Jam. 3:8.
- It is a weapon of spiritual warfare 1 Cor. 14:2
- It assists believers to sing, praise and give thanks to God 1 Cor.14:15.
Speaking in an unknown tongue is a fulfilment of the promise of God and it is for all believers who would not just desire it but fully tap into the benefits irrespective of their church denominations, tribes, or nations.