MEMORY VERSE: “And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.” – 1 Chronicles 12:32 (KJV)
BIBLE PASSAGE: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (KJV)
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Orderliness is one of the characteristics of our God. There is time for everything and He has made everything beautiful in His time. Like the sons of Issachar, Christians must constantly pray for the wisdom and grace to understand the time and how to act accordingly in life (1 Chronicles 12:32).
- UNDERSTANDING THE TIMES
- IT IS NOT YET TIME TO REST
1. UNDERSTANDING THE TIMES
Apart from the list of events that characterise times and seasons in the third chapter of the book of Ecclesiastes, believers are clearly admonished in Scripture to watch and act wisely (Mk.13:33). For instance, God wants believers to discern:
- The seed (sowing) time and harvest time (Gen.8:22; Gal.6:7-9).
- The time of God’s favour (Ps.102:13; Isa.40:2).
- The time to praise and trust God (Ps.34:1; Ps.62:8; Job 14:14).
- The time to awake out of spiritual sleep or slumber (Rom.13:11; Eph.5:14; 1Cor.15:34).
- The time to serve God diligently (Eccl.12:1; Jn.9:4).
- The perilous time (2 Tim.3:1-7; 1 Tim.4:1; 2 Pet.3:3).
- The time of judgment (2 Pet.2:9; 2 Pet.3:7).
2. IT IS NOT YET TIME TO REST
As believers, we must realise that we are sojourners here on earth and at the close of age we shall give account of our pilgrimage (Hebrews11:13; 1Pet.2:11). This is why our Lord, Jesus said “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” (Jn.9:4). It is true that God is not against rest after labour (Mark 6:31; Eccl.5:12), however, believers should not rest before time (1Kings.13:7-9) or give up on their calling (1Kgs.19:4). The king’s business requires haste (1 Samuel 21:8).
Therefore, the hour to work is now (Ps.119:60; Eccl.12:1). It is dangerous to rest or give up in the battle front with the enemy around (1Pet.5:8; Matt.13:25) No matter the situation, God has the solution. He is beautiful for all situations (Psalm 48:1-2; Eccl 3:11).
CONCLUSION: To live daily in God’s will and fulfil purpose, a believer must understand the times and act appropriately.