TOPIC: THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY
MEMORY VERSE: “For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.” – 2 Thessalonians 2:7 (KJV)
BIBLE PASSAGE: 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12 (KJV)
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Mystery simply means something that baffles understanding and cannot be explained. It takes its root from the Latin word ‘mysterium’ and the ancient Greek word ‘musterion’ meaning a secret or secret rite. Iniquity from its root word ‘anomia’ (in Greek) means illegality, i.e. violation of law or wickedness: transgression of the law, unrighteousness or lawlessness. Therefore, the mystery of iniquity is a system of lawlessness for which believers are warned and expected to be on guard.
- THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY
- BE WATCHFUL DEAR BELIEVER
- THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY EXPLAINED
The mystery of iniquity is the working of lawlessness in the world, leading to a worldwide rebellion against God (Matthew 24:12; 2Timothy 3:1-4). It is all about controlling people, systems, finance, etc. (Genesis 11:4). It is an interwoven series of complex systems that have slipped into politics, entertainment, sports, education, religion, media, etc. (Romans 1:21-22). It is also revealed through the spirit of seduction, and doctrines of the devils (2Timothy 3:13; 1Timothy 4:1). It showcases sinful behaviours and diabolic practices in human beings (Acts 8:22-23; Matthew 23:28).
Iniquity relates more to the inner character (Mark 7:21-23) and points to an international desire to twist God’s holy standard (Jude 4). It drives human beings to twist God’s word (Titus 1:11). It will one day culminate in the appearance of the Antichrist, whose spirit is already at work in the world but is being restrained for now so that the world is not as evil as it could be (Thessalonians 2:7-8; 1John 4:3).
BE WATCHFUL DEAR BELIEVER
With the Spirit of lawlessness everywhere in the world, believers must:
- Search, rend and guard their hearts diligently and always (Joel 2:13; Proverbs 4:23).
- Confess any known sin (1John 1:9) I repent to receive forgiveness from the Lord (Acts 3:19).
- Not conform to this world’s system (Romans 12:2) and be diligent to keep God’s commandments (Deuteronomy 11:22).
- Watch and pray (Matthew 26:41) and ask for new heart (Psalm 51:10).
- Put on the new Man (Colossians 3:10) and be constantly renewed by the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).
- Depart from iniquity (2Timothy 2:19) and remove the old yeast of sin (1Corinthians 5:7).
- Purge themselves (2Timothy 2:21) and let their garments be spotless (Ecclesiastes 9:8)
Believers must know that the Spirit of lawlessness is already operating in the world presently and they must ensure that they keep the profession of their faith to the end.
- What is the mystery of iniquity?
- Mention four (4) things believers can do to be on the watch.